Monday, August 4, 2008

Day 9: Mind Over Matter

I sat on the edge of the bed in the hotel room this morning wondering how to motivate myself to get into the shower. The infection in my foot has essentially healed, but my left shin is still in agonizing pain and definitely feeling the effects of yesterday's 30 miles. I stared into my reflection on the tv and questioned what I am doing here and how I am going to get through this? After about an hour, the answer was clear -- to convince myself that my leg doesn't hurt and to just get on with it.

The late 9am start brought 87F and very humid conditions. A dog that looked like Old Yeller wanted my walking stick and chased me for about 100 yards until finally giving up and turning around for home.

At one point, a group of guys on their motorcycles stopped to ask what I was doing. One of the guys did not seem like much of a talker, but explained his mom had also died of breast cancer and said "way to go". I could see by the expression on his face that he really appreciated my efforts.

At about the 20 mile mark, I planned to stop after going over the next two hills. When I got to the top of the second hill, I looked ahead and saw the land was flat. That made me smile! I turned around and looked at all the hills behind me that had tried to break my spirit, but did not, and that made me smile even more. I walked another 2.5 miles and felt great doing it, ending up just 3 miles short of Baldwin.

Two years ago today, I met Jana and I wish we could be together to celebrate our anniversary. I was happy to speak with her on the phone and grateful for her ongoing support. I realized that I am also doing this for her so that she may never have to go through what my mom did.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Sean! Just letting you know you're not alone. We're all here reading along with you as you go and wishing you the best! Hope to see you soon!

Anonymous said...

Half way there Sean, the closer you get to Detroit the less anything else will matter. I really wish I could be there to help you. I read everyday to see how your doing. keep your spirits up.
Shane

Anonymous said...

Your mother is very proud of the man you have become. She's with you every step of the way......