Saturday, August 2, 2008

Day 7: Turning south

The road from Kewadin to Traverse City was much of the same narrow highway with lots of traffic and no place to walk. I struggled with that and the pain in my left shin for most of the day... the first 20 miles and then I finally reached Traverse City and turned south. As I passed by "Hooters", two of the waitresses who were in the parking lot promoting a boat show started talking to me... I decided it was time for a break although I did pass on wings and Dom Perignon. After five minutes of light conversation I decided to be on my way.
I cut through the suburbs of Traverse City and stopped at a garage sale to ask for directions. A guy named Dan from Grand Rapids lent me his map and started talking to me about his father who has cancer and only one month to live. It was a reminder to me of the unfortunate truth that no one is unaffected by cancer. I walked 28.2 miles today and have finished 161.2 in total.

No comments: