Thursday, July 31, 2008

Day 5: Pushing The Limits

Given the fact that I had to take a day off yesterday because of the infection in my foot and the severe shin splint in my left leg, I decided to start making up lost miles by adding 2 miles to the usual 26.2 that I intended to walk each day.  By doing that, I can still arrive in Detroit on August 13 and have walked the equivalent of one marathon each day.  My plan was to start where I left off on Tuesday and walk just under 3 mph on average.  I started out slowly because of the continued rough road leading into Petoskey and then I increased my pace to 3.5 when I got onto the paved walking trail.  Surprisingly, that allowed my shin splint to start healing.  I am now more optimistic about this journey than ever before.  I'm glad that I was able to come up with a plan that seems to be working.  I'll know for sure in a few days.

Walking 28.2 miles each day for the next 13 or 14 days will be a true test of my endurance and determination to follow through on my original plan to finish in 18 days.  I'm loving every minute of it because I'm LIVING every minute of it. 

Even though it was one hell of a long day, and there were moments when I questioned how much I wanted to do this, one brief moment on the main street of Charlevoix reminded me of what this means to me.  A woman, about my age, stopped me as I was walking down the main street of Charlevoix....and she asked me, "Are you walking to benefit breast cancer research?"  The moment I responded she told me that she is a recent survivor, and then she just started crying right there in the middle of the street.  No more words were necessary.  I reached out, put my hand on her shoulder, and asked her to tell me her name.  "Susan," she said...and then our conversation began.  After talking for a few minutes, she invited Patrik and me to have dinner with her and her family tomorrow evening as we make our way toward Torch Lake.  I accepted and continued to walk.  I had 24 miles behind me with 4 more to go and didn't want to risk injury by standing still too long.
At that moment, all the rough roads, aching legs, humid weather and long miles didn't even seem to have ever been a part of the day. 

I'm so looking forward to whatever tomorrow has in store for me.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep your spirt and victory walk up as we are following and with you every step of the way. Bob and Sally

Walkerville Publishing Company said...

Sean:

We are rooting for you and thinking good thoughts!

Chris E.

"Formula for success: rise early, work hard, strike oil.
J. Paul Getty"

Drew said...

Hey Superman! Just wanted you to know that Court and I are keeping an eye on your blog - and are very proud to call you family. You're doing a great thing and, even if we're not able to support you financially (we just put every penny into buying our new house), we're emotionally behind you and your cause all the way. When you get to Detroit, plan on coming over to our new place and having a beer or five - off your feet! PS. Don't reply to the email address from my Google ID. Use: drew_bufalini@yahoo.com.

Anonymous said...

Sean,

That story about Susan is amazing. It's so wonderful that a complete stranger can be so open and caring and supportive, as to even invite you to her home for dinner.

Nice to see that there are still good people in this world.

You are doing an awesome and heroic thing!

Jim S